Now that I’m so close to the end of my 90-day challenge – which I will be extending to a nice round 100 – I thought I’d share with you what I typically eat on an average day on SCD.
I’m currently on phase 4, and I’ve properly introduced in all the foods that I eat, except for ginger and lemon, which I added by default when I was ill a few weeks ago and relied on hot toddies to get me through!
Phase 4: Typical daily meal plan
Upon waking up
500ml water (tap temperature – I can’t drink it ice-cold!)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, pure ground coffee (diluted) and sometimes a banana if I’m still hungry, or
- SCD pancakes (egg, banana, coconut oil) or
- a few bananas if I’m not too hungry yet (this is extremely rare!)
- A mix of any of the following vegetables: gem squash, roast butternut, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower and leeks, served with homemade tomato sauce (tomatoes, garlic and onion) and half an avocado.
- Sometimes I add leftover meat from the night before (ie: grilled chicken breast).
- Sometimes I have leftovers from the night before, but usually I freeze my leftovers for nights when I’m too lazy to cook!
- I always round off every lunch with a banana.
- one or two bananas (I try to eat no more than 2 or 3 per day) or
- Pineapple pieces or
- Nut butter – my two faves are cashew and macadamia, but I’ll also eat almond
- More mixed vegetables with sauce and avocado, served with meat – grilled chicken or steak, ostrich or venison mince, or baked fish, or
- Thai-inspired meals like my chicken, ginger and coconut milk pot, or bolognaise served over cauliflower rice or
- Occasionally I’ll have a large rump or sirloin steak that comprises the bulk of my meal (max twice a month or so).
- SCD yogurt: either almond milk yogurt or my amazing coconut and cashew yogurt (recipe here), drizzled with honey or
- Nut butter, or
- a few spoonfuls of honey
Things I eat every day:
- scd yogurt
- Nut butters (as I have no self-control when it comes to them)
- Every day: 2 litres of water – this is so important and if you’re not sure you’re drinking enough, use a 500ml bottle to keep count (that’s what I do)
- Every day: 1 cup of pure ground coffee (occasionally two but never more)
- Most days: pure apple juice
- Most days: wine (1 – 2 glasses per evening)
- Occasionally: herbal tea
- Occasionally: vodka with apple juice or soda water
What do I still want to add to/remove from my diet?
I can’t wait to introduce salad, though an entire completely raw dish is likely to be a challenge for my gut. I’m also looking forward to introducing whole nuts, though I have zero willpower so it’s probably a good thing that I can’t eat them right now! (plus they can be rough on the gut).
I’m also looking forward to introducing more spices.
There’s nothing I really want to remove from my diet, because I’m loving all the food I’m currently eating. I do know that I need to cut down on vegetables because they make me very bloated. I might also need to reduce my salt intake.
What do I miss?
Nothing… any more! It was hard at first and I can’t lie, I felt like this every night for the first few weeks:
(here’s a short clip of me eating intro food):
But now, it’s much, much easier. I really enjoy this diet, my cravings are gone and I feel so good. I can’t wait to get to a point where I can add SCD desserts made from nuts, dried fruit, honey, etc (like Larabars for example, and SCD-legal cheesecake!).
What I miss the most, to be honest, is convenience! On a diet like SCD or paleo, you need to plan ahead to make sure you always have food prepared – there’s no quick ‘running into a store’ to grab a sandwich or something horribly processed. You also need to cook in advance and often you need to take your own food with you when you go out.
How do I feel about day 90 tomorrow?
I can’t believe it’s here – but more to the point, I can’t believe how quickly it’s gone! Honestly, It. Has. Flown. 30 days, 90 days, 1 year – your life – it all just flies by so make TODAY the day you do that thing you’ve been putting off.